SELECT YOUR LANGUAGE, IT WILL TRANSLATE MY BLOG FOR YOU!

Friday, October 3, 2008

Ventura County Medical Center

Hello guys, here is a quick update from me. I have officially passed all of my five medical boards exams. I have applied for 20 family medicine residencies (14 in CA, 1 AK, 1 IN, 1 WA, 3 AZ). I have already gotten interview requests from 15 programs (had 1 interview, and 10 more already set up to go). My first one is going to be in Anchorage, AK. I already have a good idea of which ones I want to rank in my top 7 programs, so I may not have to do all the interviews.

I am currently in the Intensive Care Unit at the Ventura County Medical Center, working with residents from their Family Medicine Residency program. I am very much enjoying it here. It is about 1 mile from the beach and some of the best surfing areas. Very nice weather. The residents here all seemed very happy about their choice to be there, and they also tell me that they work their butts off. Now, 'residents' does not mean people who 'reside' there, but it means 'doctors in training.' However, may be 'reside' is closer to the truth. So, as you know, I love procedures and doing things with my hands. So, name a procedure, and you'll find that their residents get training to do it here. They do all the deliveries of babies, c-sections, and running trauma codes. If there are surgeries to be done, they do it with the surgeon on call. I am also hearing that if you show interest in any area, the doctors will train you to do it on your own. A lot of residents here want to serve in rural and developing world communities. I am interested in being trained to do surgeries and being good at deliveries, and they do all that here. I have met many attending physicians and surgeons and they are all very eager to take time out to teach. I feel like I am in school again! There are nothing like being taught right in front of the patients... things you'll never forget.

No comments:

Our Struggle & Our Savior