SELECT YOUR LANGUAGE, IT WILL TRANSLATE MY BLOG FOR YOU!

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Indiana First Impression...

COLD and snowy!  Apparently I missed the Christmas snow.  I am a spoiled California brat!  I can't believe people live under 40 degree F temperature!  Ha ha.  I know, I know, I do go skiing and such and love it.  But, I was not expecting 5 degree F when I stepped off the airplane!  Yesterday morning was around 8 degrees and today is about 22 F.  And the news said 'wind chill factor' brings it down to about 0 to -1 degree F.  And then, guess what else the news said... 'warm season is coming!' Really?!  Yeah, its coming... its called Spring and it is coming in like 4 months!

You know, I don't think people know how to respond to Asians in this area of the country!  I had some people think I am 12 years old!  People!  I can't even begin to tell you that if you guess that I was in my early or mid twenties, I would be flattered, but anything in the teens, I am actually offended!

And, this morning, I was having one of my complementary breakfast in the hotel, and apparently I have already finished my food, the hispanic cleaning lady came up and reached for my plate (btw, a very kind thing to do), and she said it very clearly, as if she has been practicing for this moment...  Ohio-go-zy-i-mas...  I paused and said 'hum'.  Then she said it again as if I haven't heard her... Ohio-go-zy-i-mas...  I gave her a nod and left.   HELLO, that's Japanese for whatever-it-is... and I am not Japanese.  But, I appreciate the effort.  I thought to myself, man, if I was in California, that would never happen, even in redneckville...  Then, I thought to myself, yeah, Californians are probably too afraid of offending people and error on saying nothing...

Wow, these Indianians are just so blunt, I tell you!  Or, tactless?!  I'll give them a few more days... ha ha ha...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi George! Glad to hear that you got to experienced the Hoosierland. IN is definitely less diverse than Sol Cal. Unfortunately, you were there in the middle of a harsh Winter (burrr...). I was there in May, the weather was beautiful and it allowed me to enjoy the farmland & open space. I can't help notice the KFC Buffet signs everywhere I went (calling all heart doctors?!) I must say people I met were nice & simple, I enjoyed my visit there, even completed one lap around Indianapolis Motor Speedway (well, in a tour bus that is). Were you there on job assignment? You rock, Dr. Chen! Btw, you don't look a day older than 25, and I am sticking to that! I wish I could roll back the clock & look like 12 again (smile). Lv, Aunty J

George said...

Ha ha, here is an update. After a month of working in IN... I actually came to love the people. People are the treasure of IN, not the usually list of to-do's that I am so accustom of from CA. The staff and patients are so nice and appreciative. The RN are really competent and I really like working with them. I also had chances to teach. That was fun. Overall, I would definitely consider returning for me.
George

Our Struggle & Our Savior