SELECT YOUR LANGUAGE, IT WILL TRANSLATE MY BLOG FOR YOU!

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Simplicity is calling me...

After almost a full week in Tulsa, I am getting a better picture of what life is like here. I figured that Tulsa and Okalahoma City, the 2 largest cities in OK, probably feels like a big city for people from these parts of the country (and those who have never seen LA, SF, or NY){I love both the large cities and the countrysides} However, for me, I'd consider Tulsa almost the countryside or may be a small town. There is a center of town with some high-rises, and some old looking churches, but, most of Tulsa are industrial and quiet neighborhoods. Due to the recent thunderstorms, Tulsa is quite green, and there are water in the creeks. There are lots of tall green trees, little creeks by the road, frogs croaking in those creeks, not much bugs (probably eaten by the frogs in the creeks), green pastures, open lands, cute houses, and mansions... I'll show you some pictures when I go explore this Saturday. The temperature is mild at around 65-75F, occassionally overcasted and some loud thunderstorms. I like driving here, it makes me feel that I am driving in some country place... very green and natural, and houses are mostly built out of bricks and stones. Gas is around $3.19 to 3.29 per gallon.

As for work, I am working 1.5 weeks in the clinic and 2.5 weeks in the hospital. I have been working with many doctors here and had good exchanges of conversations and stories. My overall impression of people here are that they are very nice. They also tend to be much gentler when it comes to medical education, not much pimping. I am enjoying the clinic work, everyone is very nice, but, having to rotate with a different doctor every 2 hours doesn't give me much time to adjust to each of their personal styles. I learned that about 30% of their graduates end up in the mission field long term. All the residents and staffs are Christians. Almost 20% of residents are from a foreign country... but they alls have amazing stories of how they know Jesus. A lot of them hangout together when off work and routinely go to Bible studies together. They also make it a habit to pray with their patients both in the clinic and in the hospital. Having been here for a week, I get the feeling of going to a church when I go to work... I really feel the 'togetherness' when I see how everyone interact here; like a family. The director of the residency shares spiritual guidance and calls the residents his kids.

I am getting use to the 'southern twang'... well, you may catch me with an occassional bad grammer or two when I get back... In general, people are not as superficial here and not as focused on appearance as much as... let's say, Newport Beach. (what kind of a standard do you have, SoCal boy?!)

Ok, I do have some life stuff that you can pray for me about: rejuvenation. As my third year in medical school comes to an end... I am feeling exhausted! I really feel I can use a good vacation and relaxation right now. I felt that I have put in a lot of energy this past year on various rotations, working hard, pulling 80-100 hour weeks on majority of the months (like all other med students), loving what I do, loving interacting with patients and their families, surviving tough life ordeals with God's/family's/friends' help... well, all that has just about drained me. I still have 2 end of the year exams to take at school at the end of May, and 3 medical board certification exams in the beginning of July and August. I still have to invest a lot of time into studying for these... ahhh...

So, I hate complaining, but, perhaps you can lift me up to our Father for some extra strength and energy and also restoration and rejuvenation in Him. Pressures of life never ceases, I feel that Wisdom from the Lord teaches us to grow and mature with our difficulties and not to avoid them. So, here we go.......

No comments:

Our Struggle & Our Savior