SELECT YOUR LANGUAGE, IT WILL TRANSLATE MY BLOG FOR YOU!

Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Burn Unit

I am doing well in my Burn Surgery rotation. I am very much enjoying the rotation. I think it comes very naturally to me to be doing procedures, whether it be handling the knife, doing excision and debridement of burns, skin grafting, sewing grafts in, doing wound vacs, performing venous and arterial access and line placements, and anything I can get my hands on. I am absolutely loving it and very comfortable in the Burn Unit. I know the people I treat will most likely never recover their appearance 100%, but, to help them to be able to function with the least amount of disfigurement leaves me feeling very satisfied.

One thing about burn surgery that I didn't know is that usually the Operating Rooms are chilled and quit comfortable even under all the sterile gown and gloves. But, the Burn ORs are tuned to the patient's body temperature... because when we lose our skin, we lose our temperature regulating barrier. We also lose the water keeping barrier, so we dehydrates very fast. So, to keep the patients' body from dropping their core temperature, we keep the room at their temperature. Yeah, imagine operating in a room of 98 degrees F. I was totally drenched in sweat from head to toe!

I also have made some advances today on my own, I have successfully placed several arterial and venous lines today! Yay... I loved it. It is all for the patients' benefit. I am among some really good surgeons here.

That's all for now, don't forget to check out the Sarah Palin video in the blog below. Good night!

No comments:

Our Struggle & Our Savior