SELECT YOUR LANGUAGE, IT WILL TRANSLATE MY BLOG FOR YOU!

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Cambodia - Post-Trip Update


Jim Rip Sua! (Formal hello in Khmer) This is called the 'Sompiah,' with palms pressed together and say 'jim rip sua' as you greet another. So, hello :)

I want to begin by thanking God for His divine guidance and protection, and to you for your continuous support and prayers. I have now been back from Cambodia for 2 weeks, and I have just begun to unpack my thoughts. I’ve learned so much about the history of the country and its people during my short 17 day stay there.

Dr. Pat (Pediatrician) and his wife Kacie with 3 kids [Trent (6yo), Diana (4yo), Talia (2yo)] and I landed in Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia 2 days after we left LAX. I love this family. They are so much fun.

Though my interests are in medicine and public health, I did not have any experience in their applications abroad. Since Dr. Pat has been doing this all over the world for the last 10 years, he decided to take me under his wings to show me how things work. I knew I have a lot to learn, so I have prepared myself to be as flexible as possible and to enjoy anything we get to be a part of. After we arrived at Phnom Penh, we spent about a week visiting churches, clinics, government agencies, and various NGOs to get feedbacks in how we can achieve our objective. Our goal was to set up a reproducible and sustainable ‘Community Health Program.’ This program would involve training Health-Promoters (HP) to become educators of health and hygiene in a pre-selected community. We would develop the HPs to grow in their skills of health and hygiene promotion and also in discipleship of their spiritual maturity. Their role is to make relationships in the community they serve and eventually transforming their health and hygiene standards and to help in the efforts of helping their community to know God better.

After meeting with various local resources, Dr. Pat and I developed a completed proposal for the Community Health Promotion Program. We also participated in a Health and Hygiene Seminar as teachers: Dr. Pat, Denise (dental hygienist), Hung (our wonderful God-sent translator), and I. I start the session by teaching topics of first-aid, followed by Denise’s oral-health lectures, and ended by Dr. Pat’s lessons on how to clean water, how to make oral rehydration solution, and diarrhea prevention/management. There were about 18 students in attendance from towns all over Cambodia. We have numerous question/answering sessions and breakout practical sessions built into the curriculum. At the end of the 3-day seminar, we invited them to stand in front of the class and teach all of us on any one topic of their choice, which many of them did with passion and zest. We felt that the students had a very good understanding of the material and are ready to teach. One of the most exciting and necessary part of the seminar is the topic of spiritual applications along with each health and hygiene topic. As we know, the most important reason that people seek healthcare, also often least addressed, is for emotional/spiritual assurance. So, as teachers, we offered tools by way of applicable Bible verses and simple visuals that the HPs could integrate into their health and hygiene education.

Some fun things we did were traveling to see different temples (Ankor Wat and Ta Prohm in Siem Reap), Toul Sleng Prison and the Killing Fields, Military AID/HIV Hospital, and friends in Battambang. Ankor Wat is the national symbol of Cambodian pride. It was built in the middle ages at the height of the Ankor Empire. It is also the 7th man-made wonders of the world and the largest religious structure on the planet.

Ta Prohm, the temple depicted to the left, is a temple where trees grew out of the structures… also a temple filmed in Tomb-Raiders the movie… it is where God’s creations overcame the man-made building designed for spiritual oppression. It is a simple, yet powerful, display of God’s glory. All creation testifies to the knowledge of our Heavenly King. Simply awesome!!!
Along the way, we tasted many good Cambodia dishes and got to mingle with the locals. I have promised myself to eating at least one Khmer dish every day, and fell in love with the noodle-soup breakfast. And for me, one of the most exciting parts is to learn some language! I was able to greet, order my food, and count my numbers…

Here is a fast list of my first impressions: crazy traffic of cars/motorcycles/people going in all directions; beautiful smiles that stretches from ear to ear; rural feeling everywhere I go, even in many part of the capital; public sanitation is a literal disaster; not much of a public health infrastructure; air pollution is at least 10x worst than L.A.; overwhelming poverty; delicious foods; mosquitoes everywhere; and most of all, the pure hearts of youth who love our Father.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi George,
Thank you for your report.
Their civilization shown their wisdom and potential ability.
They need to get out of cocoon.

Our Struggle & Our Savior