SELECT YOUR LANGUAGE, IT WILL TRANSLATE MY BLOG FOR YOU!

Saturday, May 3, 2008

(*) I got some E-mails from King David

"E," as in Encouragement. I’ve got some Email from the Lord. I don’t know where you receive encouragement when you are down… but for me, many times it comes from nature, it comes from talking with family and friends, it comes during quiet times spent with the Lord, or it could come out of interesting passages in the Bible. Something is for sure, it always comes at times least expected and when I needed it the most.

Have you ever read the Psalms? It is considered a holy book for Christians, Jews and Muslims. King David was a mighty warrior whom our LORD loved. He was Israel's 2nd king and the greatest. There were only a few kings (less than the number of fingers on your one hand) after him who reveres the Lord as he did. David was chosen at a very young age, being the youngest in the family (and a shepherd boy) and from the youngest and smallest tribe of Israel, Benjamin. God chose him. We are also chosen. (When He says in the Word that He choose the weak to humble the strong, He wasn't kidding!) So, we all heard of the story of David vs Goliath, David's adultery with Bathsheba, David's murder of Bathsheba’s husband (who was an righteous and brave man), the consequence of David's sin as told by the prophet Nathan, and the rest of his life displayed to us how 'consequence of sin' can ruin someone's life even in the light of God's redeeming grace.

David was a man of God and we have no doubt that he has been REDEEMED and SANCTIFIED. However, as we read in history, he was a 'fearless and brave king' yet very much 'troubled.' More than half of the Psalms were written by David to express his heart to his Savior, our God. As I’m reading the Psalms, I’ve realized that we are so free to express our hurts and anger to God, as well as our knowledge of how our God had provided for us. Now, bear in mind, these Psalms are made to be SONGS of worship and fellowship. Traditionally, Jews memorize them by the first line of the Psalm. So, once the first line is recited, everyone knows which Psalm to sing. As you read it, may they encourage you also. Many times I am also reminded that all the frustrations, anger and disappoints that I accumulate in my heart could very well be a song of worship and fellowship to our God. We are LOVED totally and completely. He takes us as we are! Our salvation is SURE. So, here are some excerpts that encouraged me.

Psalm 42
[b] As the deer pants for streams of water,
so my soul pants for you, O God.
2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
3 My tears have been my food day and night,
5 Why are you downcast, O my soul?
Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God

Psalm 51:7-12
7 Purify me from my sins,[c] and I will be clean;
wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
8 Oh, give me back my joy again;
you have broken me—now let me rejoice.
9 Don’t keep looking at my sins. Remove the stain of my guilt.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God.
Renew a loyal spirit within me.
11 Do not banish me from your presence,
and don’t take your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and make me willing to obey you.

Psalm 56:3-4
3 But when I am afraid,
I will put my trust in you.
4 I praise God for what he has promised.
I trust in God, so why should I be afraid?
What can mere mortals do to me?

Psalm 57:9-11
9 I will thank you, Lord, among all the people.
I will sing your praises among the nations.
10 For your unfailing love is as high as the heavens.
Your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.
11 Be exalted, O God, above the highest heavens.
May your glory shine over all the earth.

No comments:

Our Struggle & Our Savior